Our 68th Year Presenting: Oscar's Still Great On Our 68th
Located in the Boy Scout Building At the Park
"Where It All Began"
- The Real Story of Oscar The Turtle
- Picture Boards
- Eye Witness Stories
- News Coverage
- Fulk Lake
- More Surprises TBA (check back for updates)
The story starts in 1898, when a farmer named Oscar Fulk supposedly
saw a giant turtle living in the seven-acre lake on his farm near
Churubusco. He told others about it, but eventually he decided to leave
A half century later, in July 1948, two Churubusco citizens, Ora Blue
and Charley Wilson, also reported seeing a huge turtle (weighing an
estimated 500 pounds) while fishing on the same lake, which had come to
be known as Fulk Lake. A farmer named Gale Harris owned the land at that
time. Harris and others also reported seeing the creature. Word spread.
In early 1949, reporter from sent the story out on the wire services, and the turtle became nationally famous.
Curious mobs of sightseers began to invade Harris’ land. Traffic got
so bad that the state police had to be called in for traffic control.
People questioned the existence of the turtle. To vindicate his good
name, Harris made several attempts to catch the beast, including
draining the lake with the help of Orville Bright and Kenneth Leitch.But "Oscar" (named after the original owner of the farm) was never captured.
In March 1949, an attempt to send a deep-sea diver into the pond
failed when the wrong equipment was delivered to the Harris farm.
Color Wheel Is Back!!!
*located right outside the Scout Building*
BRING YOUR QUARTERS!!